Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mreps and Muc Invite Haikal To Talk About The Films of 2009 (Part Two)

The second part of our low budget View Askiew production listing the films in the Okay category from the best to the worst. The Okay category consists of films stuck in purgatory, neither good and neither bad having flaws that should label it bad but is combated with positive naws that would have placed it in Good but was brought down by its flaws. The Okay category is dominated by the disappointments of 2009. I can't wait to arrive at the Bad category.

THE OKAY

1. Star TrekThis one is actually good but the downfall of this film was I suppose the lack of power to pull me within the Star Trek universe. I suppose its probably because I'm not an avid fan of Star Trek and never was but this film has a good cast (surprisingly) and a good plot so it was not all lost. What makes a film so great is the ability to pull the audience in and sadly it almost did but didn't.

2. Observe and Report

When the film started off, I couldn't help but hate the movie. I hated the characters, the setting, almost everything annoyed me. But imagine my surprise as I came to the second half of the film. Be patient and you shall be rewarded. It turned out to be a complex dark comedy that explored how far would a man go to be recognized and applauded. This film felt like it was directed by two entirely different people.

3. BrunoAfter Borat, I had great expectations for this film. At first I was reluctant as I was unsure if my mind could handle gross gay jokes. I decided to go ahead and damn, I couldn't handle the gross gay jokes. It was funny no doubt but sometimes you've got to wonder if Cohen went a bit overboard with this film. Scary films don't make me close my eyes, but this film forced me to.

4. Sherlock HolmesRobert Downey Jr.'s on a roll here, blockbuster after blockbuster after blockbuster. The revived Hollywood man. You shined in this film as Sherlock Holmes and so did Jude Law as Watson, but I expected this film to be more than it actually could have been. Lackluster plot, a script that kept with the old same routines and a villain that didn't have the impact of a real villain. Mark Strong wasn't so strong in his performance if one were to compare it with his previous role in another Guy Ritchie film Rock N Rolla.

5. Public Enemies
With a combination of Michael Mann and Johnny Depp I was hugely disappointed by this one. It had some great performances mostly by JD and a great setting and atmosphere but it just fell short. I just thought that the usage of HD for the camera made the film look low budget and the shaky camera routine combined with the clear image of HD distracted me from the actual movie. The focus was on John Dillinger but it lacked to show how he became a hero in the eyes of the public.

6. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I got a bit fed up with the Harry Potter franchise and wasn't really going out to watch this one but the amount of great reviews forced me to. It wasn't as good as they say, it was just to me, okay. I'm always bewildered by this particular fact; British actors are always much better than their American counter parts. Maybe its because the British ooze with class and sophistication, with grandeur but we'll leave it to another time perhaps. Could do with less romance shtize. I shalt await the next.

7. The Brothers BloomMethinks that Adrien Brody's performance in the Pianist was a fluke-shot. He's acting is a bit distorted and so it was in this film. The cast lacked chemistry to glue them together but it was saved by the characters themselves each with their own strengths and flaws that made them to be quite likeable. But as the film landed in an untold ending, it just felt rushed and incomplete but it had a profound depth on me.

8. The SoloistAnother Robert Downey Jr. flick and this one with Jamie Foxx having a bad hair day. The Soloist was a film that wanted to create awareness upon the plight of the homeless and about the mental illness that forced them into the state they are but the story itself wasn't engaging and failed to pull me in. Solid performances by both the main casts though.

9. X-Men Origins: WolverineThe worst of the Okay lot, Origins was a mess. The beginning was on steroids and rushed like a mad hatter late for a raping. It slowed down for a while to show the 'human' side of Wolverine but continued its trainwreck speed. The worst part? Deadpool.. I fucking love Deadpool as the psychotic-talks-to-yourself kind of person with a comedic flair but the Deadpool in the film, is not Deadpool. And the end? Where they unveil what they did to Deadpool? That is a fucking crime! WTF! He shoots lasers and teleports? WTF! Anyways, this film isn't entirely bad as it contains a few good action scenes and Gambit. Also Hugh Jackman was sort of good alongside Liev Schreiber. I heard they're gonna do a standalone film about Deadpool. Better not fuck it up guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment